Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Happy Plate

Sorry I dropped the ball on what I accomplish in a day. Thursday wasn’t a great day leading into a week-end of anxiety.

JD changed classes at school; Last week was his first full week… and it did not go well. I think he got a note home everyday. And his behavior at school worsened each day. Thursday we went to the community open house to see his classroom and meet his teacher because we had done all that for his other class the week prior. We have some communication issues with his teacher, specifically I think our communications styles clash. This became immediately apparent as Daddy and I were trying to figure out what the problem was for JD in class. We’ve had a lot of changes this past month so initially I thought we were just having some issues adjusting. Change isn’t easy under the best circumstances.
Luckily JD did mention to me on Thursday that “I didn’t eat very much and I was thirsty all day”. I checked the menu and saw that the cafeteria was not serving food I would consider 4 year old friendly; It appeared nutritious but not delicious. I asked about sending his lunch.
Friday his note home was the worst yet. If you visited with us over the week-end you no doubt heard of our concerns.

Over the week-end JD and I went out and bought all his lunch stuff: A batman lunch bag, a superman thermos and a variety of containers. I checked target for healthy lunch box stuff but I think I may need to trek over to whole foods in the future.
We also talked about school, and friends, and fighting, and his teacher, and emotions and you get the idea.

Monday we sent him off to school with his lunch. And there was no note home. And he said he had a good day. And he didn’t have a break down. And he didn’t eat a HUGE snack as soon as we got home. And he ate dinner. And oh my god I think he went all week without eating lunch. I can’t even imagine how horrible it would have been if we hadn’t realized he wasn’t eating his lunch so quickly.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

And nobody noticed he wasn't eating anything for lunch? Because I can't help feeling like that should be something to watch, in a preschool class.

I'm glad you figured out what was going on!

Amy said...

i'm curious, what where they serving for lunch?

Mommy said...

Baked chicken, rice and gravy, green peas. The menu is online if you want to check it out. last week wasn't even that bad. wednesday JD was very excited they had pizza and chocolate cake, but i'm willing to bet he mostly just ate cake.
i put a treat in his lunch box, but it's quite small compared to his other food.

Amy said...

boneless skinless chicken or like a chicken thigh? b/c i think serving a four year old chicken on the bone would be dangerous. i certainly wouldn't expect Connor to eat chick off the bone yet, i don't think he'd know what to do with it.

Mommy said...

i think it was chicken on the bone... but i don't know for sure. I assume it is dark meat on the bone because it is less expensive.

I do bake chicken at home sometimes but it is chicken tenders and there is no gravy.