In January, Daddy and I discussed some fitness goals. One of the things we decided is that we wanted to train for a triathlon. Daddy talked to the bike store guys about it and they recommended I do the RocketChix Triathlon. I had heard of it so I looked it up and decided to do it.
It is 350 M swimming, 12 mi Biking, and 2 mi running.
As it happens, as a young person, I was on my neighborhood swim team for 3 years. So while I certainly have to improve my form and work on conditioning, I don’t actually need to learn how to swim.
Also as a young person, I lived in a neighborhood in which all the children rode bikes all the time.
There was a K&B about 1 mile from my house that you could get to without crossing any major roads. In summer time I think I rode my bike there every day. There was honeysuckle growing on the fence next to the fire station just before you got to the K&B. We’d stop and enjoy the delicious nectar. (Charmed life I know) There was also a snowball stand, a grocery store, and other various diversions in the shopping center. We’d just leave our bikes on the sidewalk too, not bothering to lock them up.
The older we got the father we would ride. When I was a teenager, but hadn’t gotten my driver’s license yet, I would ride 2.5 miles to a shopping center that had a coffee shop, health food store, and an import market.
All that leaves is the running. I don’t run really. I’ve never cared for it. I think there are too many reasons to go into that here, but I was sort of dreading this part. I had even decided that I would just walk. So, as part of my training I’ve been doing the elliptical machine. This week I thought I’d give some gentle running a try. I’ve learned a little more about running in general and thought it might be prudent to explore it. I ran for almost 2 minutes, and this is the important part, didn’t feel like I was going to die; this would be my personal best on sustained running and I probably could have gone longer. I think I might try a little more this weekend.
No comments:
Post a Comment