Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Moms speak

I’m pretty laid back when it comes to mothering. As JD transitioned from baby to kid I wondered if I would be able to look and speak to him the way my mother would look and speak to me when I so clearly needed it. I tried it a few times and it felt forced and faked.


I don’t have that problem any more.

Now that he is undoubtedly “kid” and not “baby”, I find myself saying things that I had no idea would come out of my mouth when I cradled my new born baby years ago. I’m more of the sensitive, how do you feel kind of mom… but I also have a low tolerance for whining and BS.

Thing’s I have said recently in response to my child’s behavior:

• (Whining about dinner) - You know some kids don’t get anything to eat for dinner.

• (Whining for more toys) - You know some kids don’t have any toys; they only have sticks to play with.

• (Whining about reading) I don’t want to hear “I don’t know.” I don’t know does not apply to reading. You know that letter and what sound it makes… Now sound it out.

• (Jumping on the bed) Next time you jump on that bed, I’m going to make you sleep on the floor.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the reading comment. And as for sleeping on the floor, well, my mom couldn't get us OFF the floor and into our beds.

Mathochist said...

I have felt the same way myself! I even found myself saying in exasperation, "Because I said so!" the other night. :(

So, um, obviously it has been way longer than a year since I used Google Reader. The last blog post I saw from you said you were moving to wordpress. But when I went to that page, I got another blogspot blog. ??? I was also very dismayed to find that when I added THIS blog to my Google Reader, that it is truncating all the posts after just a few sentences. Any idea how I can fix that?

Look forward to keeping up with y'all better (again)!