Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A new year

JD told me last night that he loves school. He LOVES school! I’m so happy I could cry. JD is in aftercare which I think helps with his overall enjoyment of school. He gets a snack and plays outside and then he spends time in the Art Room… Art is probably his most favorite past time. The aide from his class is in the aftercare room so I get that daily check in. His teacher is approachable and communicative. We got his work from last week sent home and it seemed fun and challenging. He had homework one night this week, but it was to write our address under a picture he drew of our house. JD is making friends and seems to be adjusting fine. Daddy and I are meeting the other parents. I approve of the way discipline issues have been held so far. So far so good!


In other JD news, every summer we do the summer reading program at our local library. We don’t do it for the prizes at this point, but I like to write down the library books we read on the form and then I put it in his scrapbook with the certificate they give out. I suspect next year it will be a little different since a) in theory JD will be able to read books himself and b) he won a Grand Prize this year. Specifically he got a gift card to Toys-R-Us for $50. I pointed out to him that that is a year’s worth of allowance. We took him to TRU last night and he picked out THIS. Daddy and I thought it was a good choice. He picked up a few other little things and we told him he had to pick out a book since he won the prize for reading. He chose a level 1 book about Luke Skywalker. As soon an he woke up this morning he asked if he could start building his Lego fighter. When I left for work, JD and Daddy were putting it together at the dining room table.

We signed up JD for Hallelujah Kids again, which is a kid’s music program at a nearby church. JD did it last year and really enjoyed it. That starts this week-end. Once we get our financials settled from closing the studio I am hoping to sign up JD for either Karate, Piano lessons, or both. A mom can dream right?

We also decided to put JD in Children’s Liturgy instead of Sunday School. This way he gets the liturgy of the word at his level instead of not going to mass at all. I volunteered to be Coordinator which means I just show up and make sure everyone is doing what they are supposed to and fill in if someone is missing. I think JD is ready since he can sit through mass he just gets bored because the readings and homily are over his head.

No comments: