Thursday, July 15, 2010

Where did my summer go?

Despite my efforts to have a lazy summer, it seems like we’ve been just as busy as ever!


JD has really been enjoying summer camp. We had a big day when he apparently passed the swim test at camp and was allowed to swim without a life jacket that day. So far he has not been able to repeat the feat but we were all very excited just the same. I was very surprised because even though JD is continually improving his swimming skills, the swim test is pretty difficult and requires a lot of endurance. We went family swimming and he can jump into the pool and swim to the side. He can also swim pretty far on his own before he gets tired. In celebration of his achievement we told him he could pick either a) dinner at the restaurant of his choice or b) a pack of silly bands. He chose silly bands. Silly bands are all the rage with the young kids these days. They do a lot of sports stuff at camp and consistently basketball appears to be his favorite. He played basketball and t-ball earlier this year and he seemed to enjoy basketball more then too. I have no idea if this preference now will translate into the sport he may want to play when he is older.

Funny story: one day when I picked up Jonathan from camp, I thought he sounded like he was congested and asked him if he felt sick. He then starts sticking his finger up his nose and gets increasingly distressed. I ask him what’s the matter and he informs me that there is a carrot stuck in his nose. Not one to panic, I go around to his side of the car, look up his nose, pinch the opposite nostril and order him to blow. That carrot shot straight out.

We’ve been doing a lot of fruit picking lately (Ha! What a segue). The blueberries were slim this year, but just last week-end we picked figs. I remember berry picking quite fondly from my own childhood. I also think it is a good way to introduce new foods since freshly picked fruits and veggies are delicious. JD thinks it’s great fun.

We had a pleasant Independence Day. We inadvertently crashed our neighbors BBQ because JD went to play with the other kids. The Hutchinson’s came over not to much later because all the kids were playing with water balloons so I felt slightly better about crashing. We had a really nice time. I believe there were some tentative plans to do a “block party” for Labor Day. After the BBQ we headed downtown to watch the fireworks. We have a really good place to watch too.

Some ladies from work and I have been having a monthly craft night for over a year now. But it has been decided that a monthly craft night is insufficient and we are going to have to go bi-monthly otherwise we will never finish our projects by Christmas. I was working on a small crazy quilt as an alternative to an embroidery sampler but I put that temporarily aside so that I could get some easier project out of the way. I’m working on aprons made from vintage pillow cases to give out as gifts. Last craft night I planned out 10 or so aprons and cut them accordingly. I have one about 75% done that I am very pleased with. But I still have a lot of other stuff too like my embroidery projects and framing some doilies my great-grandmother made. We all went to see Twilight Eclipse together and afterwards went to Hancock fabrics. I bought a pattern for a skirt and a dress (with pockets!) that I’d like to make. I’ve decided skirts (with pockets!) that come to just past my knee are the perfect garment.

Baring some unforeseen issue, JD will be going to private school this year. I’m really excited about it because I think it will be a much better fit for us. JD will get two recesses, nap, and snack. They also take Spanish, art and music. Since it’s a Catholic school I won’t have to do Sunday school again this year and they have appropriate religious holiday activities. The kindergarten teacher seems really great. The school seems really parent friendly with lots of ways to be involved. They have hot lunch and after care. They even have a Google calendar which makes me very happy.

I’ve gotten most of his school supplies already. I price checked and bargain hunted. I even did a mail-in rebate… I hate mail in rebates. But I do like saving $20-30. Next up school uniforms.

1 comment:

Robyn said...

Actually, Craft Night has not made a full year yet, but almost! The first craft night was 9/9/09. Next craft night (August 4) will be our official 12th month!