Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Boys should be Boys

Boys Should Be Boys: 7 Secrets to Raising Healthy Sons Boys Should Be Boys: 7 Secrets to Raising Healthy Sons by Meg Meeker


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
This book was quite good and I would like to give it 4.5 stars.

The reason it lost 1 star
There are a few places when I think the Author is a little heavy handed with the perils and dangers facing our sons.
also I think she puts a little too much emphasis on the differences between boys and girls. There are certainly some real and siginficant differences but really I think 90% of this book is good for parents who have daughters too.
And finally this book was very centered on Dads. She has a chapter on Mom's but her focus is very much of fathers and sons. Since this is a significant problem in our american culture this makes since, but I think this will date the book to this time in American Society.

I added back in .5 a star for the last chapter in which the rest of the book is concisely sumarized into a 10 point list. That alone will keep it on my book shelf.

A few other reviews i read complained that it was too much "when i was your age..." and i totally disagree. I think she very clearly says that boys are the same today as they were 20, 50, 100, or 1000 years ago. For the author, the problem is that our culture is anti-boy and she supports this.

This is a book I want my husband to read. I especially liked her suggestion that it is better for a dad and son to play with paint guns than mortal combat.


View all my reviews >>

No comments: